First Watch, a beloved breakfast haven, has long been renowned for First Watch Pumpkin Pancakes, and now you can recreate this seasonal delight in the comfort of your own kitchen.
In this culinary adventure, we’ll guide you through crafting these autumn-inspired pancakes from scratch. The aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg will fill your home as you whip up a batch of these tender delights, perfect for a leisurely weekend brunch or a special holiday morning.
So, roll up your sleeves, grab your apron, and let’s embark on a journey to our homemade First Watch Pumpkin Pancake Recipe. Your taste buds are craving for this hot pancakes.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
Ingredients Required for First Watch Pumpkin Pancake Recipe
For the Pancake Batter:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ tsp cornmeal
- 1 ½ tsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 eggs, whipped
- ½ cup half & half
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
For the Pumpkin Flavor:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
Equipment & Tools Required
- Medium & Large mixing bowl
- Griddle or non-stick skillet
- Measuring cups and spoons
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Yields: Approximately 12 pancakes
Let’s Make First Watch Pumpkin Pancake Step by Step
1. Prepare the Dry Ingredients: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, rolled oats, cornmeal, flax seeds, and sesame seeds until well blended.
2. Prepare the Wet Ingredients: In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the whipped eggs, half & half, evaporated milk, and water until thoroughly combined.
3. Combine Dry and Wet Ingredients: Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while whisking constantly. The batter will be thick.
4. Add the Butter: Pour in the melted, room temperature butter last, and whisk until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
5. Add Pumpkin Flavor: In a large stainless bowl, combine the pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well with a wire whisk until evenly incorporated.
6. Fold in Multigrain Pancake Batter: Gently fold the Multigrain Pancake Batter into the pumpkin mixture.
7. Cook the Pancakes: Preheat a griddle to 375 degrees. Pour approximately ¼ cup of batter per pancake onto the griddle.
8. Cook Until Done: Cook for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side or until the pancakes are golden brown. Use the “around the world” method to flip them once.
When the second side is cooked to perfection, flip the pancakes back and serve them with a generous scoop of whipped butter and warm syrup.
Please watch the provided video for a more comprehensive understanding.
Serving Ideas for First Watch Pumpkin Pancake
1. Whipped Cream: A dollop of freshly whipped cream adds a delightful touch of creaminess and sweetness to your pumpkin pancakes.
2. Maple Syrup: Drizzle warm, pure maple syrup generously over the pancakes to enhance their sweetness and provide that classic pancake experience.
3. Fresh Berries: A side of fresh berries such as strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries not only adds a burst of color but also provides a refreshing contrast to the richness of the pancakes.
4. Greek Yogurt: Serve a small bowl of Greek yogurt with honey on the side. The tanginess of the yogurt complements the sweetness of the pancakes.
5. Bacon or Sausage: For those who prefer a savory contrast, crispy bacon or breakfast sausages can be a fantastic accompaniment to balance the sweetness of the pancakes.
6. Scrambled Eggs: Create a hearty breakfast by serving fluffy scrambled eggs alongside your pumpkin pancakes. The combination of sweet and savory is sure to please.
7. Cinnamon Butter: Whip up some cinnamon butter by mixing softened butter with a pinch of cinnamon and a touch of honey. Spread this luscious butter on your pancakes for an extra layer of flavor.
8. Avocado Slices: For a unique twist, consider serving avocado slices seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper. The creamy avocado pairs surprisingly well with the spiced pancakes.
9. Smoked Salmon: If you’re in the mood for a luxurious brunch, smoked salmon with a dollop of cream cheese and capers can add sophistication to your meal.
10. Hot Coffee or Chai Tea: A hot beverage like coffee or chai tea is the perfect accompaniment to your pumpkin pancakes, offering warmth and a delightful contrast in flavors.
Some tips for First Watch Pumpkin Pancake Recipe
1. Use Fresh Pumpkin Puree: While canned pumpkin puree is convenient, using fresh homemade puree can make a noticeable difference in flavor. Simply roast and blend pumpkin to create your own puree.
2. Sift Dry Ingredients: Before combining the dry and wet ingredients, consider sifting the flour, sugar, baking soda, and other dry components. This will help ensure a smoother, lump-free batter.
3. Mix Batter Gently: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, avoid overmixing the batter. Overmixing can lead to tough pancakes. Stir just until the ingredients are incorporated.
4. Let the Batter Rest: Allow the batter to rest for a few minutes before cooking. Resting helps the ingredients meld together and can result in fluffier pancakes.
5. Preheat the Griddle: Make sure your griddle or skillet is thoroughly preheated to the recommended temperature (375 degrees) before pouring the pancake batter. This ensures even cooking.
6. Portion Control: Use a measuring cup or ladle to pour equal amounts of batter for each pancake. This helps ensure uniform size and cooking time.
7. Use Non-Stick Cooking Spray: Even if your griddle is non-stick, using a light coat of non-stick cooking spray or a small amount of butter can prevent sticking and aid in achieving a nice golden-brown color.
8. Flip at the Right Time: Wait until you see small bubbles forming on the surface of the pancakes before flipping them. This indicates that the bottom side is cooked and ready to be turned.
9. Customize Toppings: Don’t hesitate to get creative with toppings. Consider options like whipped cream, a dusting of powdered sugar, or a drizzle of chocolate sauce to add extra flair to your pancakes.
10. Adjust Spice Level: If you want your pancakes spicier, you can adjust the amount of pumpkin pie spice to suit your taste. Start with the recommended amount and add more if desired.
FAQs on First Watch Pumpkin Pancake Recipe
Here are some commonly asked questions and their short answers on First Watch Pumpkin Pancake Recipe
1. How do I make pancakes like First Watch?
To make pancakes like First Watch, you can follow their official recipe, which includes key ingredients like pumpkin puree and special spices.
2. What were the ingredients of the first pancakes?
The ingredients for First Watch Pumpkin Pancakes typically include flour, eggs, buttermilk, pumpkin puree, sugar, baking powder, and a blend of spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. How was the first pancake made?
The first pancake was made by mixing the dry and wet ingredients together to form a pancake batter. This batter is then ladled onto a hot griddle and cooked until golden brown on both sides.
4. Who are the First Watch pancakes?
First Watch is a popular breakfast restaurant chain known for its unique pancake recipes, including Pumpkin Pancakes. The pancakes themselves don’t have a specific identity; they are part of the restaurant’s menu.
5. Can I substitute pumpkin puree in the recipe?
Yes, you can substitute pumpkin puree with butternut squash or sweet potato puree for a similar flavor and texture.
6. Are First Watch Pumpkin Pancakes gluten-free?
No, First Watch Pumpkin Pancakes are not typically gluten-free as they contain regular all-purpose flour. However, you can experiment with gluten-free flour alternatives for a gluten-free version.
7. What toppings are commonly served with these pancakes?
First Watch Pumpkin Pancakes are often served with toppings like whipped cream, chopped nuts, maple syrup, and a dusting of powdered sugar.
8. Can I make the batter ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the pancake batter ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Just be sure to whisk it before using.
9. Do I need any special equipment to make these pancakes?
You’ll need a griddle or a non-stick skillet for cooking the pancakes. A ladle or large spoon for portioning the batter is also helpful.
10. Can I make these pancakes vegan?
Yes, you can make a vegan version of First Watch Pumpkin Pancakes by using plant-based milk (like almond or soy milk), egg substitutes (such as flaxseed or chia seeds), and vegan butter or oil for cooking.
Incorporating the warm and inviting flavors of fall into your breakfast routine is a surefire way to start your day on a cozy note. First Watch’s Pumpkin Pancake recipe offers a delightful way to savor the essence of the season in every bite.
As we’ve learned, the key to recreating these delectable pancakes at home lies in the combination of pumpkin puree, warm spices, and a touch of vanilla. The result is a stack of fluffy, golden-brown pancakes that will fill your kitchen with the irresistible aroma of autumn.
Whether you enjoy them with a drizzle of maple syrup, a dollop of whipped cream, or a sprinkle of chopped pecans, these Pumpkin Pancakes are bound to become a cherished part of your fall traditions. Share them with family and friends, and let the flavors of the season bring warmth and comfort to your breakfast table.
So, roll up your sleeves, get that griddle heated, and savor the taste of autumn with each delightful bite of First Watch’s Pumpkin Pancakes. Happy cooking!
We always appreciate you taking the time to read this article, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for more culinary explorations. Stay Connected with celebrateandhavefun. Happy Cooking!