Dyed pasta is so fun! It’s extremely easy to make and perfect for sensory play. You only need a few ingredients and it’s so versitile.
I LOVE dying pasta! My kids just absolutely love playing with it. When I was making this batch, my son kept coming to the kitchen every few minutes to check to see if it was ready. He couldn’t wait to play with it!
While I was assembling the pasta in this baking dish, my kids were asking which toys they should get to add to it. I told them to grab whichever toys they’d like! That’s the beauty of pasta sensory bins. You can add anything to them you’d like. Today, my son chose astronauts, and my daughter chose fairies.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
How to Dye Pasta with Acrylic Paint Recipe
2 cups dry pasta of your choice
One squirt of acrylic paint in any color you’d like
One squirt of clear hand sanitizer
- Put dry pasta into a ziplock bag.
- Add a squirt of acrylic paint. You may need to add more to get the vibrancy you’d like.
- Add a squirt of hand sanitizer.
- Zip the bag closed and shake! It’s easier to get the pasta completely covered if you leave air in the bag. Don’t squeeze it all out!
- Lay the pasta onto a cookie sheet or parchment paper.
- Let it dry for about half an hour. Enjoy!
I hand-painted flowers on the white Rigatoni pasta just for fun! It only took a few extra minutes, and my kids loved it.
- Spell letters or words with the pasta
- Write numbers or math facts with the pasta
- Sort into colors for color matching
- Put pasta into pots and pans for pretend play
FAQs about How to Dye Pasta with Acrylic Paint
What kind of paint do you use to dye pasta?
Any kind of acrylic paint will work, but I use the Apple Barrel brand.
What kind of pasta can you use to dye pasta?
My favorites to use are rotini, cellentani, bowtie, and rigatoni. Any kind will work!
Need more ideas?
If this post on colored pasta was helpful, here are some of our other ideas to try!
- Edible dirt for sensory play
- Play dough sensory kit
- How to dye rice for sensory bin
- My favorite homemade play dough recipe
Final Thoughts on The Best Dyed Pasta for Sensory Play:
I hope you like this dyed pasta as much as I do! Let me know what you think in the comments.