Funfetti cake mix cookies are the perfect combination of one of our favorite cake flavors and homemade cookies. They turn out soft and chewy every time! These cookies taste like they’re made from scratch, but can be made with pantry ingredients that are easy to keep on hand.
Funfetti cake cookies are super easy to make. Using boxed cake mix saves a lot of time and measuring and the results are delicious.
I like to keep a few boxes of cake mix on hand for when I need a last-minute dessert. Whether I’m just needing something sweet or a dessert to bring to an event, these no-fail cookies are always the perfect answer!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
How to Make Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
This recipe is super easy! It’s a good one to get the kids involved with since the steps are so simple. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need and how to bake these cookies.
For detailed ingredient measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Funfetti cake mix – any box 15.25-ounce chocolate cake mix will do. Funfetti was coined by Pillsbury. You can use “Rainbow Chip” or other similar mixes. You can also use any brand of white cake mix and add in additional jimmies to the mix to make it resemble Funfetti cake.
- Unsalted butter – can be substituted for ? cup of cooking oil.
- Vanilla extract – this is an optional ingredient that adds to the flavor of the cookies.
- Jimmie sprinkles – You want to make sure to use jimmies (the long sprinkles) instead of nonpareils. The nonpareils can bleed their colors into the batter and you’ll end up with multi-colored dough.
You can use your other favorite cookie mix-ins in this recipe.
Some things you might add are:
- Nuts – like walnuts, pecans, or almonds.
- Chocolate chips
- Candies – like M&Ms or Reese’s.
- Pretzel pieces
To make these yellow cake chocolate chip cookies, you’ll first mix all of your wet ingredients together. Then you’ll mix in the cake mix until it’s combined with the wet ingredients.
You can either scoop the dough into balls right away or let it chill for 5-10 minutes. Once you’ve rolled the dough into balls, you will dip the top of each ball into a shallow bowl of sprinkles to coat them.
Then it’s 8-11 minutes in the oven and the cookies are done!
How to Store Cake Mix Cookies
You can store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. These also freeze really well and can be stored in a freezer container or sealable bag for up to 6 months.
Other Cake Mix Cookie Recipes
I love these cookies so much that I did a whole series on different cake mix cookie flavors. You can check out the other recipes here:
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 cookie sheet
- 1 Oven
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 whisk or mixing spoon
- 1 medium cookie scoop
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15.25 ounce box of Funfetti cake mix
- ½ cup rainbow jimmie sprinkles divided in half
- Preheat the oven to 350?. Grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe medium-large mixing bowl, heat the butter just until melted. I let the butter sit at room temperature for a few minutes. You don’t want it to be hot when mixing the ingredients together.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the melted butter and whisk the ingredients together until combined.
- Add ½ of the cake mix to the wet ingredients. Stir together just until incorporated (you don’t want to overmix the dough)
- Add the remaining cake mix and stir together until incorporated.
- Add ¼ cup of the jimmies to the dough and fold them in until they are distributed throughout the dough.
- Place the cookie dough in the fridge for about 5 minutes. This is an optional step, however, the dough will be really thick and sticky and this makes it much easier to work with.
- Pour the remaining ¼ cup of jimmies into a small bowl.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dough and roll into uniform balls. Dip the top of each dough ball into the bowl of jimmies to coat the tops in sprinkles. Place the cookie dough balls at least 1.5” apart from each other on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-11 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Let the cookies set up for about 3-5 minutes on the baking pan before attempting to move them to a cooling rack.