As most of you know, I am not a meat eater. Which is not by choice at all. I have not been able to eat meat for over four years, and now it has just become a part of my life. Thanks to Brook McClay of Coupons.com they sent me this beautiful Shepherd’s Pie Recipe that I can’t wait to try this weekend.
Whether you’re looking for a delicious dinner for St. Patty’s Day, or simply want a vegetarian twist on comfort food favorites, this Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is perfect for dinner any night!
Quick and simple to assemble, I took a few shortcuts and kept this dish meat-free to keep my meal budget-friendly. Here’s the final cost lineup, with prices, rounded up to the nearest 25 cents:
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
• Frozen veggies: $1.50
• French onion soup: $1.50
• Pie crust: $2
• Instant potatoes: $1
• Cheddar cheese: $3
Total cost: $9, or approximately $1.50 per serving
Now that’s not a bad deal to feed the whole family with this warm, comforting meal!
I love serving it with a green salad on the side, but other than that, this dish is a meal unto itself. It’s especially enjoyable when the weather is chilly outside, and we’re all hankering to gather around the kitchen table and keep cozy.
For a St. Pattie’s Day twist, stir fresh-chopped parsley and diced green onions into the mashed potatoes, and make your own colcannon-inspired topping! A totally delicious (and lucky!) twist!
They even have more delicious, budget-friendly recipes on their Instagram!
- • 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, green peas, carrots)
- • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- • 1 (18.5-ounce) can Progresso French Onion Soup
- • 1 Pillsbury pie crust
- • 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes or 2 (24-ounce) tubs Hormel Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
- • 1 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- Mix together veggies, cornstarch, and soup.
- Line a pie pan with pie crust. Pour veggie mixture inside.
- Gently top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Top with cheese and bake 20 minutes more.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.