The Texas Roadhouse Corn recipe is a delightful dish that captures the essence of Tex-Mex cuisine. This recipe takes sweet corn to a whole new level by grilling it alongside smoky poblano peppers and combining them with a creamy and flavorful sauce. The result is a mouthwatering creamed corn that’s perfect as a side dish or even as a standalone appetizer.
With a combination of grilled flavors, creamy textures, and a touch of zesty lime, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds.
Table of Contents
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
- Corn husked – 6 ears
- Poblano pepper – 1
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Sour cream – 1/4 cup
- Queso fresco, crumbled – 1/4 cup
- Heavy whipping cream – 1/4 cup
- Chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish – 1/4 cup
- Cloves garlic, minced – 2
- Mayonnaise – 1/4 cup
- Green onions, chopped – 1/4 cup
- Lime Zest – 1
- Lime Juiced – 1
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions For Texas Roadhouse Corn Recipe
Grill the Corn and Poblano Pepper:
- Shuck the corn and brush each ear with olive oil.
- Preheat the grill and place the corn and poblano pepper on the grates.
- Grill the corn and poblano pepper until slightly charred, turning occasionally. Remove from the grill.
Prep the Poblano Pepper:
- Place the grilled poblano pepper in a paper bag and let it steam for about 10 minutes.
- After steaming, remove the pepper from the bag and rinse it under running water to remove the charred skin.
- Wipe off the seeds from the inside and dice the pepper into half-inch pieces. Set aside.
Prepare the Creamed Corn:
- Cut the grilled corn kernels off the cobs and transfer them to a frying pan.
- Add the diced poblano pepper, sour cream, queso fresco, heavy cream, lime zest, lime juice, and chopped cilantro to the pan.
- Stir the ingredients together over medium heat.
Add Garlic and Thicken the Sauce:
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and continue stirring.
- Increase the heat slightly and cook until the cheese has melted and the sauce thickens.
Finish and Serve:
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise and chopped green onions.
- Season with salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Serve the creamed corn in a bowl, topped with fresh cilantro as garnish.
Texas Roadhouse Corn recipe video link:
Chef Special Tips & Tricks
Here are some special tips and tricks to enhance the flavors and presentation of the dish:
- For an extra smoky flavor, soak the corn husks in water for 15-20 minutes before grilling.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lime juice on the corn before brushing it with olive oil for added flavor.
- If you prefer a spicier dish, leave some or all of the seeds in the diced poblano pepper.
- To save time, you can roast the poblano pepper directly on a gas stove burner. Hold it over the flame using tongs, rotating it until charred on all sides. Then proceed with steaming and skin removal.
- For a creamier texture, blend a small portion of the cooked corn mixture in a blender or food processor before adding it back to the pan.
- To balance the flavors, add a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup.
- For a more pronounced garlic flavor, sauté the minced garlic in olive oil before adding it to the pan. This will enhance its aroma and taste.
- To make the mayonnaise easier to mix in, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before adding it to the pan.
- If you prefer a tangier taste, substitute the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt or crème fraîche.
Garnish and Presentation:
- Sprinkle a pinch of paprika or chili powder over the creamed corn for added color and a touch of heat.
- For an extra kick of citrus flavor, it’s recommended to add a squeeze of fresh lime juice on top right before serving.
- Serve the creamed corn in individual corn husk “boats” for a rustic and visually appealing presentation.
- For a refreshing twist, serve the creamed corn chilled as a summer salad or side dish.
The Texas Roadhouse Corn is a flexible dish that can be prepared in different styles to fit various events. Here’s a serving idea to enhance the presentation and enjoyment of this delicious corn recipe:
Family-style Side Dish:
- Serve the creamed corn in a large serving bowl or platter, allowing everyone to help themselves.
- Garnish the top with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro for a pop of color.
- Place some lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the corn for those who want an extra tangy kick.
- Serve it alongside grilled meats such as chicken, steak or ribs for a complete Tex-Mex feast.
Individual Corn Husk “Boats”:
- Fill individual corn husks with the creamed corn mixture, creating small boats.
- To keep the filling secure, use kitchen twine to tie the ends of the husks.
- Arrange the corn boats on a platter and garnish with a sprinkle of queso fresco and chopped green onions.
- This presentation adds a rustic touch and allows guests to have their own portion of the creamy corn.
- Chill the creamed corn in the refrigerator for a couple of hours until cold.
- Serve it as a refreshing salad by tossing it with fresh arugula or mixed greens.
- Add cherry tomatoes, diced avocado, and thinly sliced red onions for additional flavors and textures.
- Drizzle with a light lime vinaigrette and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Spoon the creamed corn into small ramekins or individual serving dishes.
- Top each portion with a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese and place under a broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve it as a warm and cheesy dip with tortilla chips or toasted baguette slices.
- It makes for a fantastic appetizer or party snack.
What makes Texas Roadhouse Corn unique?
Texas Roadhouse Corn stands out with its grilled corn and poblano peppers, creamy sauce, and Tex-Mex flavors.
Can I prepare Texas Roadhouse Corn without grilling?
Yes, if grilling is not possible, you can still prepare Texas Roadhouse Corn by using alternative cooking methods. Instead of grilling the corn and poblano pepper, you can roast them in the oven. Place the corn and pepper on a baking sheet and roast at around 400°F (200°C) until they are slightly charred, turning occasionally. The rest of the recipe can be followed as directed.
How can I make the corn spicier?
Adjust the amount of poblano pepper and add spicier chili peppers like jalapeños or serrano.
Can I use frozen corn instead of fresh corn?
Yes, you can use frozen corn as a substitute for fresh corn in the Texas Roadhouse Corn recipe. Thaw the frozen corn according to the package instructions before adding it to the frying pan. Keep in mind that frozen corn may have a slightly different texture than fresh corn, but it will still work well in the creamed corn mixture.
What are some vegetarian or vegan variations of the recipe?
To make a vegetarian version, you can follow the recipe as it is, as it does not contain meat. However, ensure that the sour cream, queso fresco, and mayonnaise used are suitable for vegetarian diets, as some brands may use animal-derived ingredients.
For a vegan variation, you can make a few substitutions:
- To make this Texas Roadhouse Corn recipe vegan-friendly, simply use either vegan sour cream or plain non-dairy yogurt instead of regular sour cream.
- Instead of queso fresco, use a vegan cheese alternative or nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
- Substitute the mayonnaise with vegan mayonnaise or a combination of vegan mayo and creamy plant-based yogurt.
- Make sure all other ingredients used are vegan-friendly, including the cheese, cream, and garnishes.
How long does Texas Roadhouse Corn last?
It can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Can I store leftovers?
To keep your leftovers fresh, it’s best to store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can I freeze Texas Roadhouse Corn?
Freezing is possible, but the texture may be slightly affected. Consume within 1-2 months.
The Texas Roadhouse Corn recipe offers a tantalizing blend of flavors and textures that make it a standout dish. The grilled corn and poblano peppers bring a smoky and charred element to the dish, while the creamy sauce, infused with garlic and cheese, adds richness and depth. The combination of sour cream, queso fresco, and mayonnaise creates a velvety smoothness that perfectly balances the sweetness of the corn. The addition of lime zest and juice brightens up the dish, adding a refreshing citrus note.
We always appreciate you taking the time to read this article, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for more culinary explorations. Stay Connected with celebrateandhavefun. Happy Cooking!