I’ve been wanting to try to make my own dog treats. I thought it would be fun (and it actually is). I have a peanut butter dog treat recipe and it ONLY has 2 ingredients. How EASY is that?
I have to tell you that all four of my doggies LOVED my first attempt at making homemade dog treats. And remember, if you are on the fence about trying to make this recipe. I never post anything that I can’t easily make. If I can make it, you can make it!
My dogs, like most dogs, love peanut butter. But why do dogs like it? According to The Dodo, it is probably the taste and smell. They like the sugar and salt that they taste according to Susan Wynn, a veterinarian at BluePearl Specialty and Emergency Pet Hospital. I also found out by reading this same article that you should always check your peanut butter to ensure that it does not contain xylitol. Xylitol is a natural sweetener that can cause hypoglycemia and hepatic necrosis in dogs. Find other ways to keep your dog safe in summer in my dog summer safety post.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
On To The Peanut Butter Dog Treat Recipe
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- Cylinder silicone mold
- Fill a pot with about 1-2 inches of water.
- Add the ingredients to a glass or metal heat safe bowl that will fit inside the pot, without touching the water.
- Place the bowl in the pot, and heat over low heat to simmer, stirring often, until you have a liquid consistency.
- Pour into a spouted measuring cup, and pour mixture into the mold cavities.
- Set in the freezer for 30-60 minutes to set.
- Store these treats in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
I think you'll agree that this is a super simple dog treat recipe and we all know that our fur babies LOVE peanut butter!
Well, what do you think? These peanut butter dog treats ARE easy peasy, aren’t they? I’m putting the process pictures below because I don’t want you to have to print them unless you want to do so.
Please let me know if you make these peanut butter dog treats. All my dogs loved them honestly. Walter though, absolutely went wild over them. He begged for more. I had to cut that poor boy off. I bet your doggies do the same.