Wondering how long to cook frozen burgers on the grill? You’ll find everything you need to know plus tips to grill the perfect burgers!
I LOVE to freeze things! Okay, I know that sounds weird. But seriously, freezing things is the best!
I love to buy ingredients for meals when they’re on sale and stock up on them. This helps my family save So. Much. Money!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
I stock up on ground beef whenever I see a good price. I buy a lot of ground beef so I can make my own hamburger patties. But since I typically don’t need 24 burger patties all at once, I love to assemble them and then freeze them.
But how long do you cook a frozen burger patty on the grill? Don’t worry, I’ll teach you everything you need to know about grilling the perfect frozen burger patty.
How Long To Cook Frozen Burgers On The Grill
Grilling a frozen hamburger patty is almost exactly like grilling a thawed patty. The only difference is that it will take a little longer to cook. That’s it! So easy right?!
It will take between 15-20 minutes to grill the burgers depending on the thickness of your burgers.
Which Hamburger Patties Should I Use?
Here’s my favorite homemade hamburger recipe! It only uses a few ingredients and the burgers incredible. They freeze really well too!
If you don’t want to make your own patties, feel free to buy your favorite kind from the grocery store. This recipe will work with ANY kind of frozen burger patties!
Grilling Frozen Burgers Supplies
Here’s what you need to grill frozen burgers!
- Meat thermometer
- Frozen burger patties
- Your favorite seasonings- I use Lawry’s seasoning salt and pepper.
- Your favorite burger toppings
- Hamburger buns- I like to make my own homemade hamburger patties. If I don’t have time to, I buy the brioche buns from the grocery store. Buy or make your favorite buns!
- Melted butter
Grilling Frozen Burgers Instructions
Here are the best simple steps for grilling frozen burger patties.
- Take some frozen patties straight out of the freezer.
- Let them thaw on the counter for a few minutes. This will make them easier to get out and it will help the seasonings to stick.
- Take the patties out of their packaging.
- Make sure the grill is completely clean. If it’s not, clean it! This will prevent your burgers from sticking to the grill and making a mess.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees Fahranheit for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the grill is preheated, get the burger patties. If they’re still frozen together, use a butter knife or other utensil to pry them apart.
- Season each patty with your favorite seasonings. I love to use Lawry’s seasoning salt and pepper.
- Put the patties directly on the hot grill grate once it’s nice and hot.
- Flip the burgers every 3-5 minutes so they cook evenly.
- The patties will need to cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the patties reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit, they’re ready!
- Take the patties off of the grill once they’re cooked how you like them.
- Lower the temperature of the grill.
- Put a little butter on your hamburger buns and put the buns on the grill. This will make your burger even more perfect.
- Assemble your burger and enjoy!
If you don’t have a grill and still want to cook frozen burger patties, I wrote a whole post here all about baking frozen burger patties!
Grilling Frozen Burgers Tips
Here are the best tips to help you make perfect burgers!
- You want your patties to cook as evenly as possible. If it cooks more evenly, it will result in a juicier, yummier burger patty!
- If the grill flares up, make sure the burgers are out of the way.
- You can add any sauce you’d like to the burger patties once you flip them for the first time. This will help keep them moist and add yummy flavor to them. This will help you end up with the juiciest grilled burgers. We love to add barbecue sauce to our beef patties.
- Make sure you move the frozen patties around the grill when they’re cooking to help them cook more evenly. It will also help prevent flare ups from happening.
- It’s better to cook a thawed burger than a frozen burger if you can. A thawed patty will cook more evenly than a frozen one will.
- It’s important to remember that frozen burger patties shouldn’t be eaten if there’s any pink in the middle. Frozen burger patties were raw before they were frozen. You could become very sick if you eat a frozen burger patty that’s pink.
- Don’t smash or press the burger patties down when you’re grilling them. This will squish the juices out and you’ll end up with a dry hamburger and no one wants that!
- Most store bought frozen hamburger patties weren’t seasoned before you bought them. Definitely add seasonings to them when right before you put them on the grill to make the yummiest burger! We like to add seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and garlic salt to our burgers.
- The highest temperature you want to grill them at is medium-high heat. You can definitely cook them at a lower temperature. My dad always says “Low and Slow”!
- Add different kind of cheese to your burgers to make a flavorful burger. You can add american cheese, bleu cheese, or swiss cheese to make it a swiss burger.
- You can follow these same instructions whether you’re cooking a veggie burgers, chicken burgers, or turkey burgers.
How To Assemble The Perfect Hamburger
To assemble the perfect hamburger, get a bun and lay it open on a plate.
Second, spread your favorite sauce on the bun.
Then, place your frozen patty on it.
Next, place the veggies you like on top of the patty.
Then, place your favorite toppings like bacon, onion rings, cheese, or anything else you’d like on it.
Lastly, place the top bun back on your hamburger. Enjoy!
Storing Hamburger Patties
If you have any leftover hamburger patties, put them into an airtight container and put that in the fridge. They will be good for three to five days.
If you’re not going to finish them within 5 days of making or cooking the burger patties, put the patties into a freezer ziplock bag or airtight container. Put the bag or container into the freezer. It will last for months in the freezer!
How long does it take to cook frozen burgers on the grill?
It takes about 15-20 minutes to cook a frozen burger on a charcoal grill, pellet grill, or a gas grill. Just flip them to the other side about every three to five minutes.
Can you cook frozen burgers on the grill?
Yes! You absolutely can cook frozen beef burgers on the grill. It takes about 15-20 minutes to cook a frozen burger on the grill. The best way is to flip the burger patties every 3-5 minutes for great results!
How long should you cook a frozen burger on each side?
You should cook a frozen burger on each side for 3-5 minutes before flipping it. It will take about 15-20 minutes to grill a frozen hamburger patty.
How long do you cook burgers from frozen?
It takes about 15-20 minutes to cook a frozen burger on the grill. Flip the burger patties every 3-5 minutes for the best results!
The Bottom Line
You want a yummy burger for dinner, but you forgot to thaw the hamburger patties you had in the freezer! Oh no. Now what?
Don’t worry! You CAN grill frozen burger patties and make delicious burgers.
All you need to do is take the patties out of the freezer, grill them for 15-20 minutes flipping them every 3-5 minutes, and you’ll have a perfect burger in no time! Just make sure the patties get to 160 degrees Fahrenheit for a safe internal temperature.
It’s so easy to cook a frozen burger on the grill! And no one will be able to tell that the patties were frozen.
More Like This
- How Long To Boil Spaghetti
- How Long To Microwave Hot Dogs
- How Long Can Chicken Sit Out
- How Long Does Juice Last In A Mason Jar
- Chicken Base Substitutes
- How Long Does Beef Jerky Last
- How Long Do You Cook Meatballs At 350
Final Thoughts On Grilling Frozen Burgers:
I hope you like this post as much as I do! Let me know what you think in the comments.