I have a strange relationship with cotton candy, the treat itself I’m not a huge fan of because of the texture. Cotton candy flavored desserts however? My absolute FAVORITE! Like this cotton candy buttercream frosting recipe smothered on cakes and bakes, yum I’m in heaven.
This frosting recipe is easily one of my top favorites especially paired with some moist vanilla cupcakes. The ones in these images I colored blue for an extra color pop. They’re so pretty and just the most delicious treats for any occasion especially birthdays, baby showers, a gender reveal, or Valentines Day!
You’ll love these swirls of creamy cotton candy buttercream frosting. They’re pretty to look at, and oh-so-tasty!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
Why You Will Love My Cotton Candy Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- Only 5 ingredients needed
- It’s ready in a flash
- Tastes great on cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and more
- Festive for birthdays, baby showers, a gender reveal, and Valentines Day
- 1 cup (2 sticks) room temperature butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ oz cotton candy (I used pink)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
How To Make It
- Combine room temperature butter and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer and mix
- Next add the vanilla extract and salt and mix
- Lastly add the cotton candy and mix until it dissolves into the frosting
Tips & Tricks
- When you are mixing the butter and powdered sugar don’t add all the sugar all at once, instead add ½ – 1 cup at a time while mixing.
- It’s so important to make sure your butter is room temperature before mixing your frosting to ensure it blends properly
Cotton candy only has 2 ingredients: air and flavored/ colored sugar. That’s it! Furthermore the “cooking” process is extremely easy. Just put the flavored/ colored sugar into the middle of a cotton candy machine and turn it on. The middle piece begins to spin and heat up to 300 degrees which melts the sugar and transforms it into the fluffy texture we all know.
If you liked this recipe you might like:
- How To Make Green Buttercream Cake Frosting
- Dairy Free Marshmallow Buttercream
- Cotton Candy Chardonnay Cocktail
- Oreo Cupcakes
Now you’re ready to make the best buttercream frosting for all your cakes and bakes.