Hey, folks! Welcome back to another thrilling recipe adventure! Today, we’re taking a culinary adventure to create a mouthwatering Haitian Gumbo Recipe (Kalalou Sauce) that will tantalize your taste buds and keep you on the path to a healthier lifestyle.
I’m thrilled to share with you my take on a classic Haitian Okra with Chicken. This dish not only promises deliciousness but also incorporates a unique twist to the traditional preparation method.
So, if you’re ready to embark on this flavor-packed journey, stay tuned and discover how I whip up this delectable Okra with Chicken recipe. Check another popular Haitian recipe called Haitian TomTom Recipe.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
Don’t worry; I’ll be sure to provide you with all the ingredients and instructions below, so you can recreate this delightful dish in your own kitchen. Let’s get started!
- Marinated Chicken pieces, (marinated with island vibe seasoning, pepper, garlic, and little bit a salt)
- Okra – 2 cups
- Tomato paste – 5 tbsp.
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- Julienne carrot – ? cup
- Red and green bell pepper – ?
- Island vibe seasoning – 3 tbsp.
- Goya seasoning – 1 pack
- Seasoned salt to taste
- Watercress (optional)
Instructions For Haitian Gumbo Recipe (Kalalou Sauce)
Step 1: Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add the marinated chicken pieces. Cook until they turn golden brown on one side, then flip them over to cook the other side.
Step 2: Once the chicken is golden on both sides, add tomato paste to the pan and fry it for a little bit, ensuring it loses its raw taste.
Step 3: In a separate pot, bring water to a boil. Add seasoned salt, island vibe seasoning, tomato paste, and okra to the boiling water. This will give the okra a nice color and prevent it from looking green when cooked.
Step 4: Cover the pot with a lid to retain the heat and prevent the okra from becoming too hard. Cook until the okra becomes soft but not overcooked.
Step 5: In the pan with the chicken, add Goya seasoning, thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, carrots, and red and green bell pepper. If desired, you can also add watercress at this stage.
Step 6: Carefully add the cooked okra to the pan, being cautious not to break them if you prefer them less gooey. Pour in the broth without stirring, gently shaking the pan to incorporate it into the dish without breaking the okra.
Step 7: Allow the mixture to cook for 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. After 10-15 minutes, the sauce should thicken. If you prefer a thicker sauce, cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
Step 8: Once the sauce reaches your desired thickness, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. The dish should be flavorful and delicious. Serve hot and enjoy!
Video Tutorial: How to make sauce Kalalou (Haitian Gumbo)?
Tips and Tricks
- Marinating the chicken overnight will infuse it with the island vibe seasoning and enhance its flavor. If you’re short on time, marinate it for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Braising the chicken before adding the tomato paste gives it a golden crust and adds depth to the dish. This step helps to develop rich flavors and ensures tender, succulent chicken.
- When boiling the okra, be careful not to overcook it. Overcooked okra can become slimy and lose its texture. Keep an eye on it and remove it from the boiling water as soon as it turns soft.
- Adding tomato paste to the boiling water helps give the okra a vibrant color and prevents it from looking dull or overly green. It also adds a subtle tang to the dish.
- Shake the pan instead of stirring vigorously when incorporating the broth to prevent breaking the okra. This will help maintain their shape and texture.
- Adjust the thickness of the sauce according to your preference. If you prefer a thicker sauce, let it simmer for a few extra minutes to reduce and intensify the flavors.
This Okra with Chicken dish is incredibly versatile and can be served in various ways. Here are a few serving ideas to inspire you:
- Traditional: Serve the Okra with Chicken over a bed of fluffy white rice or alongside a side of steamed plantains. The combination of tender chicken, succulent okra, and flavorful sauce pairs beautifully with the simplicity of plain rice or the sweetness of plantains.
- Roti Wraps: Fill warm, soft roti bread with a generous portion of the Okra with Chicken, creating a delicious and portable meal. Add some fresh lettuce or sliced tomatoes for extra crunch and a drizzle of your favorite hot sauce for a spicy kick.
- Quinoa Bowl: For a healthier twist, serve the Okra with Chicken over a bed of cooked quinoa. The nutty flavors of quinoa complement the dish well and add an extra protein boost to your meal. For an extra blast of flavor, sprinkle chopped fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley on top.
- Side Dish: This Okra with Chicken can also be served as a flavorful side dish alongside grilled fish or roasted vegetables. The combination of flavors and textures will elevate any main course and add a touch of Caribbean flair to your meal.
Remember that presentation is everything, so before serving, add some fresh herbs or more sauce to your dish to further enhance its aesthetic appeal. Enjoy your culinary masterpiece and savor every delicious bite!
And there you have it, your own copycat version Haitian Gumbo Recipe (Kalalou Sauce). We’ve just embarked on a tantalizing culinary journey, taking us from marinating the chicken to braising the Haitian okra, resulting in a magnificent bowl filled with an explosion of flavors that will undoubtedly leave you yearning for more.
This delightful Okra with Chicken recipe effortlessly combines the richness of island spices, the perfection of tenderly cooked chicken, and the gratifying texture of soft, flavorsome okra. It’s a masterful fusion, blending the essence of Haitian cuisine with an innovative twist that adds an extra layer of excitement to the dish.
I genuinely hope you thoroughly enjoyed joining me in the kitchen today and acquiring the know-how to create this remarkable recipe. Cooking isn’t just about nourishing our bodies; it’s a beautiful canvas for expressing our creativity and passion for flavors.
Therefore, don’t hesitate to explore and make this recipe your own by incorporating your favorite herbs or personal touches.
We always appreciate you taking the time to read this article, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for more culinary explorations. Stay Connected with celebrateandhavefun. Happy Cooking!