Wingstop’s Hot Honey Rub is a popular sweet and spicy seasoning used on their chicken wings. It combines honey with various spices like cayenne pepper and Cajun seasoning to create a flavorful dry rub. This blend offers a delightful contrast of crispy chicken and sticky, tasty seasoning. You can enjoy this signature flavor at Wingstop or make it at home using a homemade recipe.
This is an exciting cooking adventure where we’re going to make Wingstop’s Hot Honey Rub wings taste just like they do at the restaurant. If you’ve ever wanted something that was just the right amount of sweet, spicy, and salty, this recipe is for you.
Follow along as I share you how to make these tasty, Wingstop Hot Honey Rub Recipe.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
- Prep Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes (including brining time)
- Cook Time: 6-8 minutes per batch of chicken wings
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins to 1 hour 45 mins
- Chicken Wings
- Oil for Frying (1 gallon)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 tbsps hot sauce (for brine)
- All Purpose Seasoning (or salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder)
- Cayenne Pepper
- Cajun Seasoning
- 1 packet sazon
For Hot Honey Rub:
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2 tbsps butter
Tools and Equipment
- Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Baking Sheet
- Aluminum Foil
- Deep Fryer or Large Pot
- Wire Rack
Step 1. Prepare the Chicken:
- Begin by separating the chicken wings into drumettes and flats. Use a sharp knife to cut through the joints.
- Place the wings in a mixing bowl and clean them thoroughly, removing any bone fragments or cartilage.
Step 2. Brine the Chicken:
- In the same mixing bowl, add 2 tablespoons of hot sauce and 1 quart of buttermilk.
- Season the mixture with all-purpose seasoning (or your choice of seasonings).
- Massage the chicken wings to ensure they are well coated.
- Refrigerate the wings for at least an hour (or overnight) to let them brine.
Step 3. Prepare the Breading:
- In another mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup of cornstarch.
- Add cayenne pepper, All Purpose Seasoning, and a packet of sazon. Give them a good mix.
- After that you need to add Tony’s Creole seasoning (or your preferred seasoning) to this bowl and mix everything together with a fork until well combined and seasoned to perfection.
Step 4. Bread the Chicken:
- Remove the chicken wings from the brine and coat them evenly in the seasoned flour mixture.
- Place the breaded wings on a baking sheet with aluminum foil and let them rest for 10-15 minutes to allow the breading to adhere.
Step 5. Prepare the Hot Honey Rub:
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add 1 cup of hot sauce and 1 cup of honey to the melted butter.
- Adjust the sweetness and spiciness to your liking by adding more honey or hot sauce if needed.
- Warm the sauce, stirring occasionally, and set it aside.
Step 6. Fry the Chicken:
- Heat a gallon of cooking oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carefully add the breaded chicken wings to the hot oil, making sure they don’t stick to each other.
- Fry the wings for about 6-8 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Adjust the time for larger wings.
Step 7. Toss in Sauce and Serve:
- Remove the fried chicken wings from the oil and drain on a wire rack to keep them crispy.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with the prepared honey hot sauce.
Here is the video link:
Chef’s Special Tips and Tricks
- Perfectly Crispy Wings: To achieve crispy wings, ensure your oil is at the right temperature (350°F) before frying. Use a kitchen thermometer for accuracy.
- Flavorful Brine: Letting the chicken wings brine in buttermilk and seasoning infuses them with flavor and keeps them moist. Don’t rush this step; longer brining equals better flavor.
- Customize Seasoning: You can change how spicy it is by adding more or less Cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper. Taste as you go to get the right balance.
- Breading Technique: Pat the chicken wings dry before breading to help the flour mixture adhere better. Letting them rest after breading ensures a crispy coating.
- Hot Honey Sauce Consistency: Customize the sauce consistency by adjusting the amount of honey and hot sauce. More honey makes it sweeter, while more hot sauce adds heat.
Serving Suggestions For Wingstop Hot Honey Rub Recipe
- Serve your Wingstop Hot Honey Rub wings with a side of celery sticks and creamy ranch dressing for dipping.
- Pair these wings with a cold, refreshing beverage like an ice-cold soda or a craft beer to balance the heat.
- Consider making a batch of crispy french fries or coleslaw as side dishes to complete your meal.
Making Wingstop’s Hot Honey Rub wings at home is a rewarding culinary adventure. The combination of sweet, spicy, and savory flavors makes these wings a crowd-pleaser. By following this recipe and the chef’s tips, you’ll recreate the Wingstop experience in your own kitchen.
Whether you’re enjoying these wings for a game day snack, a party appetizer, or a satisfying meal, they’re sure to be a hit.
1. Can I bake the wings instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the wings in a preheated oven at 425°F for about 45-50 minutes, flipping them halfway through. They won’t be as crispy as fried, but they’ll still be delicious.
2. What can I substitute for buttermilk in the brine?
You can use plain yogurt, milk with a squeeze of lemon juice, or even a milk alternative like almond or soy milk.
3. Is there a milder version of the hot honey sauce?
Absolutely, you can reduce the amount of hot sauce in the sauce mixture to make it less spicy. Adjust it to your taste preference.
4. How do I store leftover hot honey rub wings?
Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven to maintain their crispiness.
If you have any questions or encounter any issues while making these wings, feel free to comment below. Happy cooking!
We always appreciate you taking the time to read this article, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for more culinary explorations. Stay Connected with celebrateandhavefun. Happy Cooking! Stay with us.