Looking for fun and cool desserts made with twinkies? This caterpillar recipe is so tasty and pretty to make with the kids’ assistance as well!
This Hostess twinkie dessert recipe is heavenly with yellow sponge cake, coated in green white chocolate, poke sticks, and sprinkles to look like caterpillars! They are the airy, meringue-y, and reliably sweet classic treat with a few add on to make it really fun! Just like some of my other desserts: Zombie Cupcakes, Bloody Pancakes, Boozy Milkshakes, and Cotton Candy Popcorn Balls!
Why You Will Love Desserts Made With Twinkies:
- Fun activity to do with kids
- Moist flavorful classic crumb with sweet, fluffy filling
- So cute for birthdays, lunch boxes, and more
What Ingredients Do You Need For Twinkie Desserts?
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy from my link I might make a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. See the full affiliate disclosure here.
- 3 Twinkies
- 1 cup white chocolate chips or melts
- 2 tbsp butter
- Green food coloring
- Poke sticks
- Coconut flakes
How Do You Make The Caterpillar Recipe?
- Chill the twinkies in the refrigerator so they are super cold when they go into the melted chocolate
- Melt the chocolate and butter and whisk in food coloring
- Dip the twinkies in the chocolate and set them on parchment paper
- Decorate! I used eye use call candies, colorful sprinkles, and poke sticks for the antlers
- You can even use the poke sticks making them like cake pops!
How do I store them?
Store your Twinkies in a sealed tight container or plastic wrap. You can keep them in your refrigerator for up to a week. Store them in the freezer for 3 months!
Yes they do still make Twinkies! Hostess, the makers of Twinkies, filed for bankruptcy making fans of the snack cakes worried their favs would be gone forever! Twinkies do last forever however so at least the remaining ones would never go bad! Hostess began to liquidate in 2012 but was sold to private equity firms Apollo Global Management and C. Dean Metropoulos and Co and quickly started making the snacks again!
You may also like these recipe posts:
- 39+ Block Party Food Ideas & Appetizers
- 13+ Fantastic Pecan Tassie Recipes
- How To Make Green Buttercream Cake Frosting
Now you can make the BEST desserts made with Twinkies! Use whatever colors and candies you like.